Total Pageviews

Monday 21 July 2014

Is your cat spending too much time computer gaming or surfing the internet ? does he always drive rather than walk ?

The rise in obesity rates and it's often linked type two diabetes, is often put down to a lack of exercise and slothfulness, we are all too lazy. So many manual jobs have gone, too much TV and computer time, too much time playing video games etc. etc. But does any of this apply to your cat ? Obesity and diabetes rates are going through the roof in the cat world. I subscribe to Dr. Malcolm Kendrick's blog. When someone comments on his blog, I get an email sent over. This came in today.

"My local vets’ sell Virbac dog and cat food. (The ingredients are atrocious!) Virbac also supplies them with drugs and vaccines too. Does that tell you anything? Personally, I feed my dogs a raw diet and believe domestic pets are over vaccinated. It is the same in the pet “health” industry as ours. A big, fat, lying money racket!

I began my lchf diet nearly a month ago for various reasons, really, just to see what happened and I must say, I feel great! When one reaches their mid fifties, one (do I sound like the Queen?) accepts the aches and pains as part of getting older, but that’s not the case in my experiment, sorry, experience. They’ve all gone! As for my HDL’s and big, fluffy LDL’s, I love em!"


This interested me, so I had a Google around, and found the information below on Wiki.

"High-carbohydrate cat food: Many commercial foods (especially "light" foods) are extremely high in cereals and therefore carbohydrates. The extra carbohydrates will keep the cat's blood sugar high, and if you're free-feeding may also make the blood sugar curve over the course of the day volatile and unpredictable. In general, canned foods are lower in carbohydrates than dry ones, and canned "kitten" foods lower still. Recent studies show that cats' diabetes can be better regulated and even sometimes cured with a low carbohydrate diet." More here.

You can see where this is leading. Your cat hasn't changed habits and drives everywhere rather than walk, your cat doesn't spend too much time hooked on surfing the net, my neighbours cat seems to sleep most of the time, get my drift ? It's rubbish food that brought about the epidemic in cat diabetes !

Cats are carnivores they evolved eating meat and fat, not cereals, biscuits and other high carb food. We are the same, hence we have canine teeth. And just as in cats, diabetes can be reversed, (type two only) but not until a drastic change in diet is put in place. MEAT and FAT is the answer not more drugs.

Have a good week, and yes, I never give up !

Eddie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the quirky slant that you've given this story.
The message is a serious one.
If you own a pet feed it correctly.
James

tess said...

this post is GOLD, Eddie! :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks folks.

I may be a nutter but not mad eh.

The junk food mobs have been killing us off for years. Now they are after our animals. Fill the poor creatures up with carbs, then their mates can supply the drug antidotes.

Eddie