Total Pageviews

Monday 28 April 2014

A Day in the Life of Two Low-Carbers.

“But don’t you get fed up by the restriction a low carb lifestyle brings?”

This question is often put to anyone who chooses to live the LCHF lifestyle …and both mine and Eddie’s answer is always a resounding NO.

Depending on our plans work wise, leisure etc we do not always have three meals a day. Sometimes it’s brunch , and a lovely low carb evening meal.
We have been living the low carb lifestyle for six years now. Eddie is a Type 2 diabetic. This lifestyle has enabled him to lower and control his blood sugar numbers, and minimize his medication to two metformin a day. I am not a diabetic, nor do I have any underlying health issues, but I choose to live this lifestyle. I have found I feel healthier for it, my energy levels increased and also in the back of my mind …both my dear mum and Gran developed Alzheimer’s in later life…..I think this runs in families. I also believe cutting down on starch and sugars may well help the fight against this disease, so rightly or wrongly, my choice is to eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Both mine and Eddie’s carbohydrate intake is no more than 50g per day, and often less.

Take one day’s recent menu plan:



 Breakfast: Ham and Egg 


 Lunch: Mackerel with Salad

Dinner: Pork Casserole Rustic Style

My day is always interspersed with cups of tea whereas Eddie prefers coffee.
You may have read one of our favourite leisure pastimes is gongoozling alas we cannot do this every day, so then a walk will suffice.

If you would like to find out more about gongoozling look here.

For many it’s the start of another working week …but whether you have a busy or more leisurely week ahead, I hope it’s a good one for you.

All the best Jan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ham and Eggs, what a good start to the day.

Paul B

Galina L. said...

I have been on a LC diet since November 2007, and yet to get tired of it. The only regret - I had to stop making some traditional family recipes which can't be re-invented in a LC form, but that regret is purely sentimental one - each time when I have an opportunity to test that "forbidden food" it doesn't taste as delicious as I remember it was tasting before, a rye bread probably being the only exception.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi Paul, yes ham and eggs starts the day off well...and a cup of tea of course!!

Hi Galina,yes some family favourites either have to be amended or 'left out' of menu plans ...but the rewards far outweigh eating too high a carb intake......well I think they do.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best Jan