Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 March 2013

Side effects of statins are likely to be much more common than official statistics suggest !


From Dr. John Briffa
I saw a patient recently who suffered from mental symptoms (poor memory and inability to find his words) quite soon after commencing statins, and his symptoms resolved quite soon after discontinuing the drugs. He might be imagining his issues or suffering from a ‘nocebo’ response (the opposite of a placebo response), but he and I reckon the most likely thing is that his brain has suffered from the side effects of statins.
When side effects appear to come on quickly after taking a drug, and resolve quite quickly on stopping it, it’s generally easy to work out what’s likely to be going on. However, the side effects of drugs can take some time to manifest, and this is certainly true for statins. A recent piece of research makes the point that some statin side effects can take even years to become apparent. The authors of this study make the point that for a given number of people taking statins, the total number of people suffering from side effects creeps gradually upwards.
I was interested to read about a recent review in which the frequency of adverse effects from statins was assessed over time [1]. The authors of this study make the point that when side effects occur, these can often come on quite soon after therapy is commenced (just as in the man referred to above). However, they also point out that side effects can be delayed for several years too. The relatively short duration of studies leads the authors to conclude that it is: “…impossible to determine with certainty the frequency of long-term side effects with these drugs.”
More here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been taking statins for many years, and I don't remember having any symptoms. In fact, I don't remember anything ...
Of course, as I get older, my body has the odd ache or two (well several really)but my GP's not worried. And if he's not worried ...His name? His name's Dr ... Dr ... it'll come to me.
I'm happy to follow his advice.He says I'm low in Coenzyme Q10, but that sounds like a good thing - it dosen't sound friendly to me !
What did you say ? Something about myth ? remind me, what's a myth again ?

Sent in a lucid moment (whilst awaiting a tongue from cheek operation)
Geoff J

Anonymous said...

Geoff - just love your comment, thought it brilliant, wish I could come up with things like that.
But great news from Dr Briffa as usual

Jean

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a mere female of the species, and not a Doctor or medical person, as I've said often enough statins had such an adverse effect on me with terrible muscle cramps and pain I made the decision not to take them best decision I've ever made. I would strongly urge people not to start taking them and do as much research as you can before you take that first one. I can only tell as I've found

Sheila

Anonymous said...

I have been reading Dr Briffa's blog much more recently, he does speak common sense to me and seems one of the good guys
thanks
Doug