Total Pageviews

Friday 20 July 2012

Vegetables to the Rescue !


Many experts say that people with diabetes shouldn’t eat much flour or sugar. I agree. But other nutritional authorities don’t want you to eat saturated fats, either. So what CAN you eat? My answer: Try vegetables!
For 30 years I’ve been preaching to people to eat more vegetables. I even wrote songs about them. Nobody listened. Until now.
All of a sudden, vegetables are becoming trendy. Michelle Obama says cover half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
 Leafy greens are my favorite, and include kale, collard greens, spinach, arugula, beet greens, bok choy, chard, and many others. Kale, in particular has become the rock star of vegetables. I see it featured in supermarkets all the time.
Boiled kale has an almost non-existent GL of 3 and a sky-high anti-inflammatory score of 439. It is high in fiber, has huge amounts of vitamins A, C and K, and it contains minerals such as magnesium that can be hard to get in other places.
Some of the kale fad is probably hype, though, because many other leafy greens have similar benefits.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vegetables are brilliant, I don't know why some people out there don't use them more. So much goodness and variety. The humble broccoli not only excellent nutrients on it's own but add a bit more goodness as a broccoli cheese dish - delicious.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Yes, vegetables and fruit (although you do have to watch which fruit)are brilliant to keep those BS numbers down. We encourage the grandchildren to eat a variety and so far its working, it disappoints me when I see and hear some younger ones "ugh I don't like that" as they push away healthy veg and eat chips with tomato ketchup!

Ah well we need to keep up the good news about veggies.

Margaret

Anonymous said...

Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness for your publish is simply excellent and i could suppose you are an expert on this subject.
Fine with your permission let me to snatch your feed to keep up
to date with approaching post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.
Here is my weblog - garden