Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 July 2012

Drug company survey suggests statin side-effects are common and the most common reason for people stopping their medication.

From the excellent Dr.John Briffa Blog.


The hazards of statins is not something that the pharmaceutical industry likes to shout about, of course. In fact, industry sponsored studies sometimes look as though they’ve been designed to ensure the real risks of statins remain unseen. One tactic, for instance, is to screen out those most susceptible to side-effects before the study even begins. Another is to detect and log damage to organs only once blood test results are several times the upper limit of normal.


It turns out that off all of the reasons individuals might stop their statin medication, ‘side effects’ was the most commonly cited reason. According to the survey, a full 62 per cent of respondents cited side effects as the reason for stopping their medication. The two next most common reasons cited were ‘cost’ and ‘lack of effectiveness’ at 17 and 12 per cent respectively. You can see from these statistics that problems with side effects was the standout ‘winner’.



It seems to me that Lilly is keen to grab a bigger slice of the statin market. However, in so doing, it has revealed to us evidence which supports the idea that, in the real World (rather than the more manipulated and controllable environment of clinical studies), statin side effects are a much bigger problem then some would have us believe.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me the side effects from statins were dreadful, as I have mentioned before when commenting on this blog. To call them my 'pet hate'would not be strong enough, they are my worst hate, and I would really urge people to think twice before starting them

Sheila

Lowcarb team member said...

I agree Sheila, when I was diagnosed T2 I was prescribed 40mg daily simvastatin and suffered from horrendous side effects. I've also found out they were recently contraindicated by the FDA with Amlodipine a BP medication I was on at the same time.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm256581.htm

Graham