Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 February 2012

Grip and rip.

I played golf on and off for around 50 years. I absolutely love the game. The history, the heart ache, the challenge, has been a major part of my life. I have thousands of great memories. From ‘bummin on’ as a kid, with my kid brother, that’s what we called going onto private courses in the evening, without permission, and playing, and as an adult, and a member of great and ancient golf clubs. I can’t play anymore due to a serious hand condition, Dupytrens, but I still follow the great game. Only after close on 50 years, did I learn to play without fear of outcome. I learned to stand on a par 5, 570 yard hole and grip and rip. Sometimes I hit a shot great professionals would have been proud of, on other times (many times) my ball disappeared into the sea. Did it matter, in the great scheme of things, not a jot.

For me diabetes, as life, is no more than a game, to be won and lost. But most of all enjoyed. For me diabetes is a life sentence, not a death sentence.

I try to play it without fear of outcome. But at the end of the day I am a percentage player. Many golf percentage players have done very well and earned a very good living. But the great ones, the Seve’s the Arnold Palmer's are the ones we will always remember. These guys never knew the meaning of, it can’t be done, they never ever knew when they were beat. If you can’t be a star, be a percentage player. Be guided by your weight scales, be guided by your BG meter and tape measure, take notice of your HbA1c tests. If you feel good, you probably are good. We can’t all be superstars, but we can be percentage players, and percentage players, often do very well.


Eddie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a serious condition at all a simple op will fix it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren's_contracture

Says on this link it can be caused by diabetes!
But then as you such a wimp regarding hospitals doubt you ever will get it fixed.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing that with me, I can see you are a person of true Christian disposition. I am fully aware of Needle Aponeurotomy and other treatments. Unfortunately they can be fairly short lived and the condition can return after a few years. I am waiting until disablement becomes a major problem. As you can see, I can still type and respond to numbskulls such as you.

Eddie

Lowcarb team member said...

"It's not a serious condition at all a simple op will fix it."

It's not so simple to get your condition fixed I'm afraid, lobotomy if you can find a neurosurgeon to carry out the procedure, may be your only hope.

Graham

Anonymous said...

http://www.remap.org.uk/contact/contact-us.php

This organisation made a device for someone with Dupuytren's contracture to help them continue playing golf. I seem to recall it involved adapting a golf glove.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for your comment.

"This organisation made a device for someone with Dupuytren's contracture to help them continue playing golf. I seem to recall it involved adapting a golf glove."

I will start a new post on Dupuytren's soon.

Eddie