Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 October 2011

Dr Malcolm Kendrick who advocates a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet in patients with diabetes.

Dr Malcolm Kendrick, a GP in Macclesfield who advocates a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet in patients with diabetes, said the study’s conclusions should encourage GPs to reject the conventional wisdom.

“The reality is that over the years, and around the world we have killed literally millions of diabetics by advising them to eat a high-carb diet and avoid fats. Only now is it being recognised that previous advice was and remains useless, dangerous and scientifically illiterate.The authors of this Cochrane review should be applauded for taking the fist step on a path that will, inevitably, result in the destruction of the nonsense.”

A readers comment.
 
I was diagnosed as diabetic type 2 in 1992 and injected insulin for fourteen years twice a day. I was approaching 90 units of insulin each day when I decided that I would try something different, initially to reduce my weight and increase exercise and at the same time increase the number of blood glucose tests so that I could see if specific foods elevated my glucose levels higher and for longer.

As my weight reduced I could gradually decrease my insulin intake and initially guided by my meter eliminated bread and potatoes. Within six months I no longer need to inject insulin or take diabetic medication and now two years and seven months later with my HbA1c varying downwards from 6.8, 6.1, 5.8 and an expectation that I will get below five, My healthy eating is targeted on a wide variety of vegetables, fruit & nuts. Reducing the starchy carbohydrates and sugar in our diet would at least minimise the collateral damage of diabetes.
 
 
www.pulsetoday.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=23&storycode=4121682

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the past three and half years I have had to fight with my DN nurse to get a full blood lipid profile. It got to the stage where I had to explain to my GP why the reliance on the total cholesterol was a waste of time and what I really needed was the various ratios and the LDL and trigs. This inevitably led to a discussion of statins (and why I was not taking them) and low carbing.

Results HbA1c < 5.4% and trigs of a young man!


John

Anonymous said...

What time is it?

Why it's Contradictory Report On The Safety (or otherwise) of Aspirin time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15475553

By my watch that means we have 4 months until the next story on how Aspirin is lined to knee cancer of the like.

It's kind of exhausting this isn't it?

Dillinger